Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fallout New Vegas: First Impressions

Grab yourself a  NukaCola and some Iguana on a Stick because it's time for Fallout New Vegas!


If you've played Fallout 3 you'll know exactly what your in for when jumping into  Fallout New Vegas, the game play is instantly familiar making it easy to get right into the action. New Vegas has everything you loved about Fallout 3 plus a little more, such as an expanded array of weapons to play with, mini games such as the Caravan card game and improved interactions with companions through the companion wheel.


Other new features include a number of factions all with different intentions and views on each other, you'll get the chance to interact with them and do quests building a different relationship with each faction. The crafting element from Fallout 3 has been greatly expanded on, you can now breakdown ammunition into it's components to be rebuilt into another ammo type such as 9mm rounds parts used to make 10mm rounds using 10mm cases. There are also many survivalist style items to make too, such as drinks, food, and weapon repair kits. Such item creation is not a necessity for getting through the game (that I know of yet) but I expect it to be invaluable during hardcore mode. A mode I'm keen to try out next.


As for quests you'll find plenty of variety, so far I have come across some interesting quests that has given me a few paths to choose from that result in a different conclusion to the quest, and with some optional objectives to boot. But on the other hand I have also done a couple of smaller simple "go kill this or that" quests. 


A note on New Vegas bugs. I began playing after the first patch was installed via Steam and experienced two crashes to desk top in the first 2-4 hours of play but since then the game has been perfectly stable for me on PC. I'm now about 20 hours into the game and the only other bug seems to have been a quest bug during Booted, but was not game breaking or anything just a bit odd. Obsidian where quick with the first patch so I'm confident the next patch will fix any remaining issues.


One thing I do love about Bethesda games and New Vegas is no exception is the exceedingly detailed open world game play. I really admire the little things when exploring, such as stumbling across a wastelanders hovel tucked away among the rocks at the foot of a mountain, then seeing this wastelanders quirky nature just by looking at the way the items and junk in his make shift home has been arranged.


Now I think it's time for me to snipe a few more lakelerkers that stand in the way of my wasteland exploration. Check back soon for more Fallout posts.


Need a link? http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html




No comments:

Post a Comment